Speak Out Loud NA

Thursday, June 08, 2006

IT'S ALL OUT THERE NOW

Well, that was fun!!!
Hope everyone feels better after blowing off a little frustration.
We wanted to let the last posting ride for a while and see how folks responded after the spectacles at the Council meeting Monday night.
We never expected the thread to take the turn it took, but we feel we learned a lot from it. The lines have indeed been drawn in the sand.
It's a damn shame, but the fact of the matter is that the city's problems are so severe that citizens are blaming other citizens rather than holding the proper officials accountable for bad management.
It's clear that there is virtually no respect for people's differing opinions about what is best for the City, and this leads to the propensity for personal insults.
We would like to remind folks that the issues that must be dealt with pertaining to the City's current well-being, and future potential, have absolutely no bearing on the personal character of individuals.
Now, everyone put the potty-mouths away, and let’s get back to the business of dealing with the real issues, O.K.?!
We want to direct your attention to Ben Hershberg’s excellent article in Wednesday’s Courier-Journal regarding the situation we are facing with the Sewage Department - click here
Most importantly:

“Fifer discussed sewage system finances at the council meeting Monday night, explaining why a controversial rate increase -- projected at 26 percent to 32 percent -- is needed four years after a 49 percent increase was enacted to help finance an expansion.” Folks, thatequivalentivilent of an 80% increase.

"…he said the system technically is in default on the requirements of the $40 million bond issue used to expand the system -- a project completed in March 2005.” Read This One Again!!!

“The sewer system is required to generate enough cash annually to pay operating expenses and make more than $5 million worth of bond payments -- plus an extra 25 percent for security, Fifer told the council.”
The bond payments were appropriated by Council from EDIT funds.

"A recent projection by the city's financial consultants said the sewer system is $2.5 million to $3 million short of what's needed.”
There is more than $1 million in appropriated funds that are missing.

We must admit, we are confounded that anyone could seriously put forth a compelling argument for swimming pools when we are facing such dire conditions in an absolutely vital component of our infrastructure.
Even more so, we are curious as to why the administration seems to think they do not have to produce true and accurate financial details of the 38 some-odd checking accounts that the Sewer Fund uses.
We stand commited to insisting upon a full investigative audit into the financials as recommended by the State. We will NOT accept a rate increase without such, even if it means we must go down the same road that 20 other citizens recently traveled.

We also feel compelled to remark on the inaccurate and incomplete coverage of the Council session by the Tribune in Tuesday’s edition of the paper (“…instead of the $6.25 per meeting Mayor James Garner’s administration had suggested.”???). Make that $625.00, which is the current pay for members of the Sewer Board. Our records show Garner was asking more for the Stormwater Board members ($700 per meeting), and himself as Chair ($1700 per meeting).
We’ll come back to the particular details, but suffice it to say that many people are severely disappointed and we intend to follow up on this matter with Mr. Tucker in the very near future.

Lastly, in light of the assertions made over at NAC today concerning their planned campaigning come next May, we would like to respond in-kind;
We take this as a challenge to the Council Members that we feel have the most concern for the City, and are most in touch with their respective constituents. Therefore, we’ll meet their challenge and pledge to work diligently on the behalf of re-election campaigns.
More importantly, we are committed to educating citizens about the dispositions, behaviors, and attitudes of those who will be challenging our Council representatives. That, my friends, will be the ultimate downfall of the progressive movement.

24 Comments:

  • EE,
    I have went back and re-read your post of 4-13, The Way Back. Why the change back to a "way" you found disappointing? How do you now justify allowing a comment to remain up about someone "sleeping" with someone else?

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 8:59 AM, June 08, 2006  

  • Geez -
    If you guys would quit bringing it up, it would have been forgotten by now.
    I think you all are trying to create trouble. Otherwise, what's the reason for continuing to draw attention to the comment?
    There was a lot of crap that was said about a lot of folks.
    That's too bad.
    Let it go, and move on.

    By Blogger East Ender, at 1:58 PM, June 08, 2006  

  • Roger's been promising a "culture war" hasn't he?
    Taa - Daaaaa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM, June 08, 2006  

  • I don't believe that you answered either question. Afraid to or can't?


    By the way, I speak only for myself.

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 3:52 PM, June 08, 2006  

  • Yeah, you speak for yourself. Whoever "iamhoosier" is!?
    This, from the very people who claim to despise the "bagged heads" of anonymity.
    See how nice we are? We still put up with you, and we have no idea who you are.
    Quit asking so many questions!!!
    Let's talk about something else that hasn't already been thru the rumor mill all the way across town and back.
    Let's talk about the $5 million that's missing from the SEWER STINK this year.
    Bet'cha that's what they're talking about Downtown.
    Just think about how soon it's going to be when that's the only talk going around all across town and back.

    By Blogger East Ender, at 5:09 PM, June 08, 2006  

  • iamhoosier,

    As it says: the truth shall set you free. It did happen just ask her! Would you like me to give you the preachers name?

    Sorry Laura! But It seems hitting them with a brick with truth sends these guys into denial.

    BTW doesn't my tax dollars go to The White House?

    These guys just want to keep spin the plate!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:14 PM, June 08, 2006  

  • No your tax dollars do not go the White House, the only tie to city government ended when the redevelopment authority signed over there measly 13% intrest last year.

    The White House is self sustaining, so you need not worry about your tax dollars there.

    I don't know what truth your talking about, but you don't know the truth about it. So why don't you just shut up, let sleeping dogs do whatever it sleeping dogs do! It was a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far, away. Has not one thing to do with whats going on in this community today.

    I choose not to identify myself because of the way this blog is handled. EE had something going in April when she changed the way of posting, I guess the dead air was just to much to handle, or the Trogs were not able to figure out how to sign up for their own blog. Its sad that it now back to the mud slinging, moaning and groaning, blog it has always been.

    Trog giggin' is the life for me!
    I love bein' free! Free to say what ever the little voices inside my head tell me to say!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:14 PM, June 08, 2006  

  • I would like to "thank" the good citizen who has finally had the voice and courage to get the Fed's involved with our New Albany problems!

    Thank You

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 AM, June 09, 2006  

  • Forgotten History newalbanian,

    Winston Churchill stood against "fascism" and renewed the world's faith in the superiority of Democracy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 AM, June 09, 2006  

  • To: 6:56 AM

    What do you mean by, "The Feds are now
    involved in our New Albany problems "?

    Is this the Progressives action?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 AM, June 09, 2006  

  • Thanks, Progressives:

    We knew that you all would put New Albany on the map.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 AM, June 09, 2006  

  • EE,
    Well, well. A little testy are we?

    Laura, it is a lie to have you say:
    "Yeah, you speak for yourself. Whoever "iamhoosier" is!?
    This, from the very people who claim to despise the "bagged heads" of anonymity.
    See how nice we are? We still put up with you, and we have no idea who you are."

    You are well aware that I disclosed my real name to you several months ago. Since Roger required it, I thought it only fair for you, as head of your blog, to know my name. I did this voluntarily with the same request for confidentiality as Roger gives and you agreed. You are also well aware that I have NEVER argued against anonymous comments, just the opposite.

    I don't know what else to call your statement but a bald face lie.

    "Quit asking so many questions"?
    What a hoot coming from you. Still afraid to answer the questions or still can't?

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 8:19 AM, June 09, 2006  

  • Anon 5:14,

    Did you read the post from 4-13? Did you read the post preceding these comments?

    "...have absolutely no bearing on the personal character of individuals."

    I took Laura's statements to be about decency and civility which we all need to reminded about at times. I never said the comment in question was true or untrue. It is the double standard used yet again.

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 8:32 AM, June 09, 2006  

  • Since it's been months, and you asked to remain anonymous on the blog, I had even forgotten that you ever told me.
    Probably because I still have no idea who you are, nor do any of the other participants on the blogs.
    In my book, that's anonoymity.

    "I have signed my real name. I probably don't have to ask but will anyway. I would appreciate you keeping my identity confidential.
    Thanks,
    XXXX XXXXXXX (?)(I saw real name)
    Iamhoosier"

    -----Original Message-----
    From: LAURA OATES lroates@sbcglobal.net
    To: Iamhoosier@aol.com
    Sent: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:02:46 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: Speak Out Loud NA blog

    Who's using a double standard?

    By Blogger East Ender, at 1:37 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • Laura,
    Sorry, that won't wash either.

    From 4-14-06

    "Iamhoosier said...
    I personally like your move. I have always felt a screen name offered the best of both worlds. It offered a user protection from real and/or imagined injuries but also developed a personality on line.

    The biggest problem for some is letting the blog administrator know your identity. There has to be confindence that real names will not be revealed. I voluntarily revealed my name to Laura quite some time ago. I thought it was only fair since the other blog that requires it(NAC) knew who I was. My identity was given in confidence.

    Now, exposure is at the adm. discretion. I know, after a warning, just don't do anything wrong, etc. With the ability to suspend and ban a user, I am not sure why the threat of exposure is needed.

    9:41 AM, April 14, 2006


    East Ender said...
    Allow me to assure everyone that it would only be in the case of extreme hostility, or threatening words that I would ever expose anyones identity.
    That is not the objective of this change. This has been done to prevent the nasty remarks, and personal attacks on private citizens.
    The most likely course of any action would be to simply boot someone off the blog for unruly behavior.
    Thanks for cooperating everyone.

    11:11 AM, April 14, 2006"

    You never disputed that you knew my name then. You also make it sound like we have had only the one email exchange between us. That is not true either but I am not inclined to post them since I consider them private, unless released by the author.

    Yes, I asked you to keep my name private. I said as much in my 8:19 comment this morning. I did not hide it. In general, You and I are in agreement on anonymous comments. Why is this even an issue?

    So you see, I am not against anonymous comments, you did and do know my real name. We have had more than the one exchange of emails. Who is telling the truth and the whole story? Certainly not you.

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 2:54 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • iamhoosier -
    What the hell is the point of this conversation?
    Other than distracting from the issues, I see no practical purpose.
    That is, unless your intent is to muck-up the waters (so-to-speak) like what's been done with the Scribner Place issue.
    What They're Saying:
    Scribner Place -
    A. Build it
    B. Don't build it

    The Truth:
    C. Build the "Y", POSTPONE the natatorium for 2 years.

    By Blogger East Ender, at 4:12 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • The point is the TRUTH which you claim to search for. If you can't even tell the truth about this matter, why should anyone believe you on bigger issues. You have lied through your teeth, got caught and have tried everything to keep from admitting it.

    I answer your questions, wanna try answering mine?

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 4:50 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • Oh, get a grip!
    NOT answering your stupid questions about something that happened 4 months ago is a lot different than telling lies!
    So, it would be best to get your facts straight.
    It's your buddies over at NAC who are having trouble with the truth.
    Why don't you go play over there and ask them about that "all or nothing" spin they've put on the Scribner Place project?
    All that's been proposed is to delay the natatorium portion. The YMCA should move forward.
    Word is, they can't sell the bonds for the pools anyway.

    By Blogger East Ender, at 5:28 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • Since when is April 13th four months ago? My questions are still at the top of the page. And still unanswered.

    You lied about not knowing who I was. You can spin it anyway you want. You lied about me despising anonoymous comments. Iamhoosier posts too often (I know, plenty of agreement), so there is plenty out there to get to "know" me by.

    I said that I speak only for myself and you were the one who went off the deep end.

    My facts are straight. I have taken plenty of time to lay them all out. You have not even dented one of them.

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 6:05 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • By the way, I did go "play" over at NAC in the last week or two. All4Word and I got into it pretty good a couple of different times. Privately by email also. Kind of blows your theory of Iamhoosier speaking for "them". If I was "them" I would be insulted.

    Here is something kind of funny. I won the award for Most Closeminded "over here". Would you like know what I am accused of "over there"? Wishy Washy, never takes a stand, wants everybody to like me so I talk both sides of an issue. I guess it depends on your point of view.

    By Blogger Iamhoosier, at 6:19 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • EE actually lies far less often than Erika over at Freedom to Screech.

    By Blogger The New Albanian, at 6:50 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • newalbanian,

    It must be a man thing between Erik and you? At least he backs up his facts!
    Besides could you be just a tad jealous?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • You need to check out your source of information on Erik.You need to stop listening to Main St.gossip.
    You know what assume means newalbanian?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 PM, June 09, 2006  

  • From the Urban Legends Reference page:

    "The Sneeze”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 AM, June 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

r

<< Home